- 10:30 am – Outdoor Worship Service outside the front entrance to the church in the circle drive
- 10:30 am – Virtual Worship Watch (Online Service) on YouTube
10:30 am - Outdoor Service
We will have an outdoor service every Sunday through the Summer. The service will be at 10:30 am outside the front entrance to the church in the circle drive.
- Please bring your own chairs (if you need a chair, we will have some available).
- The service will be approximately 30 to 40 minutes and will include Communion.
- Face masks are required, unless you have a medical condition that does not allow for wearing a face mask. Face masks will be available at the service if you do not have one or forget yours.
- Physical distancing will be used. Family units may sit together; other units will be 6 feet apart.
- Register to attend the service via the sign-up genius sent to you by email each week.
- Bathrooms will be available but should be used for an emergency; only one person at a time will be using the bathroom. After each use, the bathroom will be sanitized.
- If the weather is inclement, we will move the service inside. If we have to go to an indoor service, we will be restricted to the number of people who can attend due to the social distancing restrictions.
10:30 am - Virtual Worship Watch (Online Service)
Join together for the Virtual Worship Watch each Sunday at 10:30 am.
- Each week, a greeter will welcome you and invite you to chat alongside the recorded worship. You can share any prayer concerns and joys with each other, or just say, “hello!”
- The recorded service of the Word is posted every Sunday at 10:30 am to the Cross & Crown YouTube channel.
- View Cross & Crown online services on YouTube >
Are you interested in helping coordinate a worship experience in preparation for the season of Advent? We are planning a socially distanced, intergenerational, outdoor experience to prepare our hearts, minds, and church for the season of Advent. Please join Deacon Marilyn and Lisa on Tuesday, October 13 at 7 PM on Zoom to find out how you can help. Find the Zoom link in your Friday email.
Topic: Advent Event Planning Meeting
Time: Oct 13, 2020, 7:00 PM
A huge thank you to everyone who signed up for items to help furnish an apartment for a homeless family. Thanks to your generosity, all items have been signed up for!
FAITH5 is a powerful framework that deeply connects people to God and one another, connects church to home, and connects faith to daily life.
The five steps are:
1: SHARE your highs and lows
2: READ a Bible verse or story
3: TALK about how the Bible reading might relate to your highs and lows
4: PRAY for one another’s highs and lows
5: BLESS one another
Our FAITH5 sessions will be held via Zoom on Sundays at 6:30 pm. Our plan is to have this be a monthly session, but you are welcome to attend any or all sessions that work in your schedule. Some videos will be available to view before this meeting to help prepare for our discussion. Participants who are interested may also wish to purchase the book Holding Your Family Together by: Dr. Rich Melheim (available on Amazon and from other retailers). This book will supplement our presentations and discussion. Our discussion will focus on sharing ideas, successes, and tips for how to implement FAITH5 with your family. Watch your email for a meeting link and the videos to view before our meeting. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Lisa at email@example.com.
Cross and Crown now has a 3-octave hand bell set! In addition, we ordered a 4th octave, which should be arriving in about 6 weeks. What a wonderful addition to Cross and Crown and the music ministry. We will have room for 10 members of the hand bell choir as well as substitutes, but if more people wish to play, we’ll figure something out! Please contact Matthew at firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know if you’re interested. We plan to have socially distanced rehearsals and see if we can make some music for our recorded or live-stream services.
Musical Moments with Matthew - Thursday nights at 7 pm
On Thursdays at 7 pm, Mathew will host a general discussion via Zoom about music, with topics ranging from our Lutheran service music to classical, jazz, and more. See your Friday email for the Zoom link. Mathew looks forward to talking with you about how he chooses the music you hear in our services and sharing his love of music.
Join the Zoom conversation on Tuesdays at 2:00. We will discuss the topic of the week and entertain questions from participants.
Zoom login info can be found in this past Friday's "Connection" email.
The next book for the Cross and Crown book group is Saving Amelie by Cathy Gohlke.
Increasingly wary of her father’s genetic research, Rachel Kramer has determined that this trip with him to Germany―in the summer of 1939―will be her last. But a cryptic letter from her estranged friend, begging Rachel for help, changes everything.
Copies of the book are available in the office. The discussion will be held on October 26. Contact Alice Miley with questions.
Back by popular demand, on October 31 from 10-2, Shalom Zone will be working with Recycle Force to collect electronic items for recycling. Please note the change of date. The event will be held at Epworth United Methodist Church at 6450 Allisonville Road, Indianapolis. This is a great opportunity to clean out your basement, garage, closets, attic and responsibly recycle unwanted electronics and appliances!
Our partner, Recycle Force, can recycle the following:
Telephones & Telephone Systems * Cell Phones * Desktop Computers * Laptops/Notebooks * Televisions * Computer Monitors * Mainframe Computers * Integrated Circuits * Surge Protectors * Servers * Modems Pagers/Two Way Radio Scanners * DVD/VCR Players * Computer Peripherals/Mice/Keyboards * Fax Machines *Answering Machines * Xbox/Play Station/Nintendo * Printers * Stereo Equipment * Power Supplies & Backup Power Supplies * Toner Cartridges * Copiers * Electric Motors * Electronic Wiring * Power Cables * Power Supplies * Satellite Components * Car Batteries * Cameras * Christmas Tree Lights * Small Appliances * Large Appliances * Microwave Ovens * Calculators * Cash Registers * Hair Dryers * Power Tools
A $20 donation is required for appliances containing Freon (fridges, freezers, ac units and dehumidifiers) and televisions.
Other monetary contributions are greatly appreciated.
As part of Peter Panda Preschool's plan to provide a safe environment for the students and staff, the director Sarah Thatcher has developed safety requirements based upon CDC guidelines and Marion County Health Department guidelines for schools. One of the requirements is the parents of the children will not be allowed to come into the building when dropping off or picking up their children. This is to keep the number of people in the building to a minimum.
In order to honor this requirement, it is requested members of the church not come inside the church building while Peter Panda is in session. The hours for Peter Panda are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Thank you for honoring the requirements of the Peter Panda Preschool safety plan.
A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who responded to the congregational survey! The Mission Site Profile Has Been Submitted!
The submission of the Mission Site Profile is just the FIRST step in the call process. The next step is the responsibility of the call committee. The committee will be receiving the names of candidates from the Synod office in the next few weeks or months. The committee will be vetting and interviewing these candidates and discerning which candidate to recommend to the council to interview and discern whether the candidate will be presented to the congregation as the candidate for our next pastor.
At any point in this process, the candidate may decide to remove themselves from being considered further just as the call committee, the council, or the congregation may reject the candidate. This process will take several weeks or months to complete. For more detailed information, please refer to the newsletter sent out in May explaining the process or contact Julie Slavens at email@example.com or Eric Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please continue to pray for God to prepare our next pastor and to prepare us for our next pastor.
Call Committee Members
Craig Beougher, Brenda Cooper, Eric Jensen, Brent Johnson, Sara Paul, and Jill Speraw. Ashleigh Gelfius will be serving as a nonvoting youth advisor.
Deacon Marilyn Smith is serving as our part-time interim pastor and as Pastor of Record for Cross and Crown. (A Pastor of Record is a Pastor or lay person assigned by the Synod Office to handle pastoral care in absence of a called Pastor.) In case of pastoral emergency, please contact Marilyn Smith at 419-792-5564 or via email.
If you have any specific questions, please email Julie Slavens or call her at 317-818-9137.
It takes financial resources to accomplish the work God has called us to do. Your generous offerings enable Cross & Crown to fulfill its mission to grow in faith, serve all in need, and gather every person to Christ. Our giving funds the daily operations of the church, fuels special projects, and supports our many core and outreach ministries. Remember our offerings are an important part of our worship even though we are not meeting in person.
- Cash or Check - Checks should be made out to “Cross & Crown Lutheran Church.” At in-person services, checks or cash can be put into the offering basket. You can also mail your offering to Cross & Crown Lutheran Church, 5233 E. 79th St., Indianapolis, IN 46250.
- Electronic Giving - If you would like to give via regular automated withdrawls, you can find more information and a sign up form here. Complete the form and mail it into the office along with a voided check.
- Donate Online - We also offer secure online donations via our tithe.ly site. Click on the button below to make an online donation.
Participation in Worship
If you would like to participate in the recording of the online worship service, email Chris Lantz.
For those of you who normally pick up one of the devotionals, Word in Season or Christ in Our Home, and would like the 2nd quarter edition mailed to you, please let Chris Lantz know.
If you would like to be included on the church text alerts, send Chris Lantz an email with the mobile phone number you would like to receive the messages. This method of communication will not be used for prayer requests.
If you find your self in financial hardship during the pandemic, Cross and Crown has a designated fund, called the Joy Fund, to help with unexpected nonrecurring expenses. Email Stacy Reid for more information.
For years, Lyn Beltz has been maintaining all of the plantings around the church property. We truly appreciate all that she does!
Lyn is hoping there might be some gardeners out there who would like to help her out and lighten the load. At this time it would not be a group project, just come as you can on an individual basis.
If you would like more information, please email Chris Lantz.
THE SHARING PLACE still needs your help.
Spaghetti, egg noodles, non-sugar cereal, pork 'n' beans, plastic bags, and toilet paper - or money to Stan
Thank you for your generous contributions of plastic bags. Now, do you suppose we could fill more of those bags with food? Thanks for all of your help. For those of you with access to the church, you can leave your donations right inside the door by the office.
As always, your generosity is appreciated!
Announcements of upcoming church events delivered at the beginning of our Sunday worship services are part of the life of our community. But we need to be able to respect the time constraints of our members. So, beginning immediately, Church Council has created some simple guidelines regarding announcements:
- Each announcement must last no longer than 30 seconds. The announcement should primarily direct listeners to the bulletin insert and the weekly Connection for more information.
- All announcements must be in the bulletin insert and Connection for that week.
- Deadline for the bulletin insert and Connection is Thursday at noon. Send your announcement by email to Chris Lantz in the office, email@example.com.
Thank you for your help!
- Children Celebrating Worship - Please check out the new laminated cards in the sanctuary hymnal racks. You'll find a list of practical suggestions for parents with children newborn to 5 yrs old (blue) and 6 to 9 yrs old (pink). Consider it a survival kit for families before, during and after worship. Some of the ideas may surprise you - others simply reassure that you're on the right track. For the rest of the congregation - those who have survived or are still wondering - remember we're all in this together. Every thriving church family needs a full stock of bold, enthusiastic young voices coming to worship... for of such is the kingdom of heaven!
- Splash: Birth to Three Faith Formation - Parents of babies and toddlers, Cross and Crown offers a faith-based curriculum for families with children under the age of 3. The newsletter is mailed directly to you with ideas to nurture faith development in young children. If you would like to receive the newsletter, contact Lisa Stocks.
If you are tired of writing checks for your offerings and would like the convenience of electronic giving, then we invite you to consider the Simply Giving program. Brochures are available at the Welcome Desk.